CSST piping fires. CSST gas pipe fires in Frisco, TX
Yellow Gas Piping in Your Home May Pose a Safety Risk
DOVER, DE – The Delaware Department of Insurance, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) are teaming up to educate homeowners on a potential safety risk involving yellow flexible gas piping. The gas piping is known as corrugated stainless steel tubing, or “yellow CSST.”
“Homes with yellow CSST are at risk of perforation to the gas line caused by lightning strikes which could cause gas leaks or fires,” says Insurance Commissioner Karen Weldin Stewart. “If you are unsure as to whether your home has CSST or whether it has been properly bonded and grounded, contact a licensed electrician to arrange for a professional inspection.”
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) - The New Gas Line ...
A few months ago, I wrote a blog about how great PEX tubing, and today I will discuss the equivalent for gas piping - pipes corrugated stainless steel, which is commonly known as CSST. It is a product that can be used to distribute natural gas or propane throughout the buildings.
A very brief history of the CSST
The main attraction of the CSST, that it is flexible and relatively easy to install compared to the standard gas piping.The gas connections to the pipework must be screwed laboriously, and the pipe itself must be measured, cut, bored, threaded, then cleaned. With the CSST tubing just gets cut to length and a fitting attached to the end. It is easy to understand why it has become a popular product.
Buddy Holly's Hometown Unlikely Pioneer With Lightning and 'CSST' Fuel Gas ...
- As Buddy Holly's hometown considers becoming the first U.S. community to adopt a new standard for a certain type of gas piping, an advocacy foundation is asking big-box retailers Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards to stop selling the "yellow CSST"
- A 2012 lightning incident, the resulting house fire and tragic death of a 31-year-old Texan, combined with the resulting civil litigation, seem poised to change how at least one community regulates the flexible pipes that funnel natural gas into
- CSST is a flexible, stainless steel pipe used to supply natural gas and propane in residential, commercial and industrial structures. Coated with a yellow or occasionally black exterior plastic coating, CSST is usually routed beneath, through and
- Instead of simply installing larger pipes to divert runoff into the San Francisco Bay, Berkeley has built a “rain garden” at Allston Way and California Street to divert stormwater and remove pollutants, while also beautifying the neighborhood, the city
- There needs to be a separate bonding wire connected either to the rigid gas piping before the CSST, or directly to one of the CSST nuts. This is needed any time CSST is installed, even if it's just a small amount. The diagram below shows an example of