CSST piping fires. CSST gas pipe fires in Frisco, TX
KEN MOON: Black grunge in your toilet bowl means time to replace parts
Answer: You probably need to replace the parts in your tank. Older black rubber flapper valves and floats deteriorate over time from sitting in water 24/7. Buy a new flapper and fill valve in a combination pack. I like the FluidMaster brand. It's very homeowner friendly and pretty cheap - about $14.
When you remove the old parts, wear some plastic gloves. If you don't, the black surface of those old parts will rub off onto your hands, and it's as difficult to get off as if it were paint.
Dear Ken: We are building a new home at 7,500 feet. What is your advice regarding steel, aluminum or vinyl siding? Also, how about radiant heat versus baseboard? - Bill
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) - The New Gas Line ...
A few months ago, I wrote a blog about how great PEX tubing, and today I will discuss the equivalent for gas piping - pipes corrugated stainless steel, which is commonly known as CSST. It is a product that can be used to distribute natural gas or propane throughout the buildings.
A very brief history of the CSST
The main attraction of the CSST, that it is flexible and relatively easy to install compared to the standard gas piping.The gas connections to the pipework must be screwed laboriously, and the pipe itself must be measured, cut, bored, threaded, then cleaned. With the CSST tubing just gets cut to length and a fitting attached to the end. It is easy to understand why it has become a popular product.
Bonding your CSST gas lines: Minnesota updates its rules
- The Fire Marshal investigation showed that the CSST in the attic of the house had been overloaded by the lightning strike and small holes had appeared in the piping. In response to Brennen's death, the city ordered a moratorium on the use of CSST in
- There needs to be a separate bonding wire connected either to the rigid gas piping before the CSST, or directly to one of the CSST nuts. This is needed any time CSST is installed, even if it's just a small amount. The diagram below shows an example of
- Additional connectors, fittings or bonding for CSST gas piping may be required and surge protection devices for vulnerable appliances may be needed, as well. Lightning protection is also not a "do-it-yourself" project. Only experienced and reputable UL
- Teel's death highlights an ongoing debate over the safety of the piping - known as corrugated stainless steel tubing, or CSST - which has been installed in as many as 10 million U.S. homes since the 1990s, according to some manufacturers' estimates
- This has been a nightmare,” said Ken Teel, Brennen's father. Garett Nelson, the Lubbock Fire Marshal, determined the fire started with the yellow corrugated stainless steel tubing in the attic. CSST are flexible tubes used to pipe gas to furnaces and