CSST piping fires. CSST gas pipe fires in Frisco, TX
Yellow Gas Piping in Your Home May Pose a Safety Risk
DOVER, DE – The Delaware Department of Insurance, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) are teaming up to educate homeowners on a potential safety risk involving yellow flexible gas piping. The gas piping is known as corrugated stainless steel tubing, or “yellow CSST.”
“Homes with yellow CSST are at risk of perforation to the gas line caused by lightning strikes which could cause gas leaks or fires,” says Insurance Commissioner Karen Weldin Stewart. “If you are unsure as to whether your home has CSST or whether it has been properly bonded and grounded, contact a licensed electrician to arrange for a professional inspection.”
Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) - The New Gas Line ...
A few months ago, I wrote a blog about how great PEX tubing, and today I will discuss the equivalent for gas piping - pipes corrugated stainless steel, which is commonly known as CSST. It is a product that can be used to distribute natural gas or propane throughout the buildings.
A very brief history of the CSST
The main attraction of the CSST, that it is flexible and relatively easy to install compared to the standard gas piping.The gas connections to the pipework must be screwed laboriously, and the pipe itself must be measured, cut, bored, threaded, then cleaned. With the CSST tubing just gets cut to length and a fitting attached to the end. It is easy to understand why it has become a popular product.
Omega Flex, Inc. - A Market Leader You've Never Heard Of
- The National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) is proud of its work with CSST manufacturers to raise awareness with U.S. homeowners on the hazards associated with lightning and flexible gas piping. "NASFM believes that raising the ANSI LC1
- The reason is that it is much easier and cost-effective for contractors to install flexible pipe as opposed to black iron pipe. The latter has to be sized and cut according to the specific layout of the house. Installing CSST is much like installing
- It takes less time than standard gas pipes to install and has fewer connections because of its flexible nature. “If it's done just right, it's reasonably safe,” said Grier. “I've had my engineers tell me even with the CSST if they bond it correct
- CHEYENNE, Wyo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM) is proud of its work with CSST manufacturers to raise awareness with U.S. homeowners on the hazards associated with lightning and flexible gas piping.
- As Buddy Holly's hometown considers becoming the first U.S. community to adopt a new standard for a certain type of gas piping, an advocacy foundation is asking big-box retailers Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards to stop selling the "yellow CSST"